The Professional Practice (15 ECTS) is a compulsory module where students perform 365 hours of practice in research centers, companies or institutions, public or private. In this module, students have the opportunity to consolidate their training by integrating all the knowledge learned, applying and improving the professional skills and the abilities acquired throughout the course.
The main objective of this internship is to promote students interaction and employability with the research and professional environment around them. For this goal, the master has created an open and growing network of scientific and academic collaboration between the UAB and major companies and research centers in bioinformatics and related sciences. The student may choose to do their internship in a research center, if he/she is planning to engage basic research, or make stays in private companies or hospitals to develop the career in applied fields.
During the practice period the student is closely tutored by the project supervisor in the company or in the research center where is performing its practice.
To ensure the correct functioning of this module, the practice coordinator takes care to:
- Advise the student about the most convenient center or company to carry out the practices according to their interests and skills profile.
- Check the suitability between the candidate's profile and the needs of the research institute or company where they will carry out their practices.
- Allocate the students in all placements available trying to satisfy their preferences.
- Assign to every student an academic tutor to supervise its master thesis.
- Keep close links with our collaborating centers and companies to meet their most immediate bioinformatics needs and interests.
- Coach, follow-up and direction of students.
- Meet student’s satisfaction rate once the practice period ends and the master’s student outcome placement rates.
As an alternative to conventional practice curriculum, the master students will be able to engage in multidisciplinary work teams conducing bioinformatics analysis of real data provided by research centers and corporate partners. These work teams will be assigned by the master’s director, depending on project needs and students skills profiles, and will be follow-up by a supervisor professor.
Collaborating Center and Entities:
© MSc in Bioinformatics
Master in Bioinformatics
Faculty Biosciences, University Autonoma Barcelona (UAB)